Welcome to Shenandoah Valley Homegrown. Our Online Farmer’s Market with local delivery sells local Fruits, Vegetables, Meats, Milks/Cheeses, Honey, Nuts, Artisan Breads and Bakery items, Salsas and other Homemade Goodies, Plants, Arts, Crafts and even Vintage and Antique items.
Here are some frequently asked questions:
- Are there Membership Fees?
- How do I Become a Member?
- How is Valley Homegrown different from other CSAs or Farm Markets?
- How do I order?
- When and How do I pay?
- When and Where do I pick up my order?
- Why support Valley Homegrown?
- Does Valley Homegrown charge a Buyer's Premium?
- I'm a Vendor, How do I SELL in this Market?
And here are some answers:
Are there Membership Fees?
The short answer is YES. To help us provide farm tours, educational programs, and to help us with our overhead costs, we ask that you pay an annual fee of $45 per household for one calendar year. Membership is paid at the time of pickup or delivery. There isn’t a way to pay online just yet.
Try before you buy!
Don’t want to spend the money up front. It’s okay. You are welcome to try Valley Homegrown for 2 orders FREE before officially becoming a member, but a 10% surcharge or fee will be added to all items ordered if not a member.
How do I Become a Member?
It’s simple. Click on the Tab at the top that says Sign In. Then, “Let’s get started!” under the “Don’t Have an Account?” Simply follow the steps for creating a new account, and wala! You have successfully created your account. You can now place orders on The Market page, and you’ll automatically receive emails from the market managers. You can change any of your account information (email, address, phone number, etc), and see your order history on Your Account page.
Remember, you are able to try Valley Homegrown FREE twice before automatically being charged a $45 membership fee. Membership is due at time of pickup or delivery.
Thanks for joining!
How is Valley Homegrown different from other CSAs or Farm Markets?
Unlike some co-ops, buying clubs, or CSAs where everyone gets the same box of stuff (and you don’t know what you’re getting until you get it), with Valley Homegrown you get to order what you want, in the quantities you want, from the farms you want. The weekly email sent to members lists the produce, milled products, fresh flowers, and artisan goods available that week, and you can browse the items on this website before you place your order.
How do I order?
Each Sunday evening, a list of available products is sent to all of our registered customers/members by e-mail. Customers must place their order for the week no later than Tuesday at 5:00 p.m. (the week of pickup). This means you will have from Sunday evening around 5pm through all day Monday and up until Tuesday evening at 5pm to place your orders. This gives our farmers time to harvest, our coffee roasters time to roast, our bakers time to bake, and our millers time to mill. Remember everything is LOCAL and FRESH!
Ordering through our website is our preferred method as it is designed to reduce the amount of time it takes us to process orders as well as provide you with detailed information about our products. Click on The Market tab at the top of our page to order.
To place an online order, you must first create a membership account. Non-members are allowed to order 2 times as our guest as well as receive weekly emails stating what’s available. After that, a membership fee of $45 is required and automatically added to your bill.
When and How do I pay?
Due to possible adjustments like unannounced items you decide to purchase or items that were unexpectedly unavailable, we do not accept advanced payment on the website. CASH and CHECKS are accepted at pick-up or delivery. In the future, we may offer the ability to pay via credit or debit card.
When and Where do I pick up my order?
Members can pick-up their items every Thursday at Willow Grove off Merrimans Lane in Winchester, VA from 4:30-7:30pm. For exact directions, please email Kim at email@example.com or call 407-353-9074.
You can also opt to have your order delivered right to your workplace or doorstep for a small fee. Fees are based on zip code and accessibility. Someone must also be there to receive the delivery and give payment. We are working on this feature, so please just ask if you want delivery.
Why support Valley Homegrown?
- Enhance your local economy. By purchasing produce and other items from local growers, you are providing stability to your local economy through the support of local businesses. It’s the Golden Rule!
- Save natural resources. Buying locally makes you an invaluable link in the process of saving resources such as fossil fuels and packaging materials. Also, we are right here in your community so the expense of transportation and delivery is kept to a minimum.
- Provide learning opportunities. Valley Homegrown supporters provide member growers the means to help educate our community about the importance of sustainable agriculture.
- Support a way of life. The number of small farms in the United States has decreased dramatically in the last decade. Please help us preserve an honest and worthy means of making a living.
- Contribute to society’s overall health. Small, diverse, family-owned, local farms that use little to no synthetic pesticides are said to be much more sustainable to our bodies, minds and overall health. There are numerous health concerns linked with chemical pesticides; some you can learn about here through our blogs. Thus, by supporting our local farmers, we can have a voice in our own health and the health of our neighbors.
- Plus, it’s a better value. Most corporate grocery stores add a 40-75% surcharge to the end price of your products. After our Produce Members name their prices, Valley Homegrown adds only 10-30% to support the cost of bringing that food to your table.
We thank you for your interest and support of our efforts to bring you the healthiest, the freshest and the most delicious locally-produced foods possible!
Does Valley Homegrown charge a Buyer's Premium?
First of all, what is a Buyer’s Premium?
A Buyers Premium or Surcharge is an additional fee added onto the total price. For example: If carrots are listed as $4.00 per pound, there might be a buyer’s premium or surcharge of .40 cents.
Why does Valley Homegrown charge a Buyer’s Premium or Surcharge?
The buyer’s premium or surcharge is added so that the overhead costs of running the market may be covered. This includes sales tax paid to the state.
How much does Valley Homegrown charge?
After the farmers/vendors name their prices, Valley Homegrown charges between 10-25% mark up depending on the item. This is very reasonable, considering most conventional grocery and retail stores charge close to 100% or more.
I'm a Vendor, How do I SELL in this Market?
Selling through VALLEY HOMEGROWN is a great way to earn additional income for you and your family! It’s easy as you do the growing/producing, and we do the marketing, selling and delivering!
We are looking for vendors in the form of farmers who grow produce like fruits, vegetables, herbs, flowers, legumes, nuts and other seeds. We also welcome dairy farmers and makers of butter, cheeses, yogurts, and ice-cream as well as free range meat and egg producers. We especially encourage practices that use little to NO Chemicals and non-GMO seeds.
Additional items we sell through VALLEY HOMEGROWN are breads and other bakery items, salsas, jams, jellies, pickled items, soups, other gourmet items as well as some artist made crafts like jewelry, clothing, art, etc.
There is an annual fee to sell through Valley Homegrown. However, the fee is small (just $45 if you sign up before July 30th); and, we can deduct it from your total sales. The market also takes 10% commission to cover overhead. It is still one of the best ways to go since most markets charge a table fee each time you sell (and some are pretty hefty)! Like a traditional farmers’ market, you get to set your own prices and list your items as you wish.
If you want more information, please contact Kim @ 407-353-9074 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here’s how to sign up:
If you’ve already created a customer account here, simply go to Our Growers and click on ‘Join this Market’. This will add you to our system. Our market managers have to approve you, and then, we will contact you with the next step.